If you're going to drink wine at home, you'll need a corkscrew. There are hundreds of corkscrews available. But they fall into some general categories.

Puller. They take the form of a T-shape with a handle and a worm.  And there are no moving parts-which is why it depends on sheer force (yours) to get the cork out of the bottle.

Two-Pronged Puller. The two-pronged puller requires less force but more finesse. It has no worm but two blades that you wedge into the bottle to grip the sides of the cork and pull.

  • Professionals like it particularly for older corks that are in danger of crumbling.
  • It's known as the “Ah-So.”

  • Lever-Type. Lever-type corkscrews can take a variety of forms from something you can put in your pocket to something you can mount on the wall.

  • Butterfly Corkscrew. The most ubiquitous lever type is the butterfly corkscrew. It has a and butterfly-wing handles for leverage.
  • Waiter's Friend. The simplest lever corkscrew is the "waiter's friend” -so-called because it's the favorite among restaurant servers. It's got either a dual or single lever.
  • Rabbit Corkscrew. Then there's the popular "rabbit” " corkscrew with gripping handles on the sides and a top lever handle.

  • Before you can insert the corkscrew: remove the capsule that surrounds the cork end of the bottle. Cut them off with a small knife or the foil cutter that comes with many corkscrews.

    To avoid wine dripping over the edge of the foil, be sure to cut it low enough on the neck of the bottle – under the second lip of the bottle.

    resting knife and fork etiquette

    Our resting utensils etiquette section covers the rules (american and continental) for resting your utensils when taking a break from eating, when you are finished eating, and when you are passing food [...]

    Read More