Table Manners Guide
- Food is brought to each diner at the table;
- The server presents the platter or bowl on the diner's left,
(Alternatively, plates are prepared in the kitchen and then brought to the table and set before the diners.)
- the host will dish food onto guests' plates to pass around the table; or
- the diners help themselves to the food and pass it to others as necessary.
Using Serving Utensils. Some general guidelines for using serving utensils:
- Serving utensils are placed on the right side of serveware;
- When a serving spoon and serving fork are presented together, the spoon is laid on the right ready to cut and lift and the fork on the left to steady and hold.
- The utensils are returned to the platter or serving bowl in the same position.
- When a serving spoon is presented on an underplate, after use the utensil is replaced in the bowl (ready for the next person to use).
- To protect the hand, the blade of a carving knife faces inward.